Saturday, March 27, 2010

"I'll have the fresh... food at the farmer's market."


Kat Saltarelli's blog post "Let's Keep It Real" is in part the story of my life. I say "in part," because while I very much agree with Kat's partial attitude towards natural or "real" food, I believe that processed or "fake" food has become an important staple in the lifestyles of people today - mine included.

While I'd love to maintain a diet of only fresh, organic, healthy foods, it simply is not possible given my current position as a college student, short on extra budget space to buy "real" food all of the time. The truth is, fast food is cheap.

I do agree with Kat's view, as I can sympathize with her feeling of being "stuck" with previously canned corn, broccoli, or what have you; I know of the situation she mentions at Pop's Cafeteria. I too am fond of sweet, summer corn-on-the-cob and wish it could replace the rather mushy veggies on my plate. Luckily, we are not the only ones to feel this way, and thus opportunities to buy "real" foods are still available, even at a reasonably low price. The local farmer's market is a great source of reasonably priced healthy food, and in the off season, when the farmer's market does not take place, smart shoppers can find ways to cut costs at local supermarkets like the newly opened Madison Food Market.

I am familiar with Kat's mentioned source, Dr. Leslie Van Romer, using her same article in my previous blog post. Dr. Van Romer argues we have the choice of what to eat. While cost is a major determining factor of our choice, there are ways, like those previously mentioned, that can serve to fill the fresh-food starved college student, or anyone for that matter.

Overall, Kat's article addresses the feeling many college students have concerning "real" food, but there are healthy, affordable, options students can have if only they "make the choice" to find them.

Photo Credit:
Farmer's Market Logo - www.smgov.net/farmers_market

No comments:

Post a Comment