Monday, May 3, 2010

Would you like to try the dip?


"I know you don't like tofu, but trust me this will be good" the conversation started. I always look forward to Thursday night dinners with my older sister and nephew; it's become tradition since I've started college. We rotate turns picking "recipes" and this particular last Thursday she chose tofu tacos and guacamole, attempting to persuade my taste buds to like the former. Well, that never happened but we sure had a meal to remember.

Time to go to the store and I had to get tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers, and avocados. Needless to say, my half went smoothly as planned. My sister was in charge of the remaining ingredients, including the tofu. So meal time comes and we start cooking.

Sister - "The tofu is cooking right."
Me - "Maybe you should turn the temperature up."
Sister - "OK"
(5 minutes go by)
"Nope, still not right."
(she looks at the packaging)
"This isn't tofu, it's feta cheese!"

So we ended up having a large assortment of dips and chips for dinner. Salsa, guacamole, and a feta cheese/bean/pepper medley. Definitely not as expected, but I was perfectly content with the way things ended up. I, after all, managed to escape the tofu for at least another three weeks.

Michael Pollan and what is known as the "Slow Food Movement" urge us to eat responsibly and take time preparing and eating our meals. I agree that slowing down our busy days at meal time may be better for our overall level of hunger, stress, and physical fatigue, but I don't think it would be possible for our Thursday night tradition to become one of every day. Between busy schedules, it just wouldn't be convenient. I don't know what is set in store for the future, but I hope it somehow consists of these sort of meals. They're delicious and healthy.

Photo Credit: www.fotobank.com

No comments:

Post a Comment